May 31, 2019 deadline for March 2020 awarding.
All entries for the 2020 Award must be published in English between January 1, 2017 and May 31, 2019.
- The KOBZAR™ Book Award, valued at $25,000, is awarded every second year. The author of the winning submission will be awarded $20,000 and the publisher of the work will be awarded $5,000.
- The KOBZAR™ Book Award is sponsored by the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko (Shevchenko Foundation), a national, chartered philanthropic institution.
- Authors must be either Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- Genres include literary non-fiction, fiction, poetry, young readers’ literature, plays, screenplays, and musicals.
- The topic must have a tangible connection to the Ukrainian Canadian experience.
- Works may be submitted by writers, Canadian publishers, or literary agents.
Canadian Publisher means a person or entity who:
- makes a publication available in Canada, and
- publishes from an official office of business that resides within Canada, and
- indicates that the published material’s place of publication, when it is given, is within Canada, and
- has at least 75% of its employees based in Canada, and
- is at least 80% beneficially owned by a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant, or is fully owned by Canadian institutions or associations that are in turn at least 80% beneficially owned by Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
- All books must have an ISBN, and be distributed in print book format in Canada.
- Reprints will not be considered.
- Titles may be submitted only once.
- There is no limit to the number of titles that may be submitted by a nominator, provided that the work entered meets all other eligibility requirements.
- A completed and signed entry form. Download entry form here.
- Author’s curriculum vitae
- Each nomination must be submitted with a letter of consent from the author.
- Note: A letter of consent from the author is not required if the publisher is submitting the entry form.
- Six (6) copies of the publication must be submitted to:
THE KOBZAR™ Book Award
Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko
202-952 Main StreetWinnipeg, MB R2W 3P4
- Submissions will be judged by a three-person jury in a peer review process.
- A Board Member of the Shevchenko Foundation will sit on the jury as a non-voting advisor.
- The composition of the jury will be announced four (4) months prior to announcing a winner.
- A shortlist will be published two (2) months prior to announcing a winner.
Conditions of the Prize
- All entry material, including book copies, will become the property of the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko (Shevchenko Foundation)
- Nominated and/or winning author(s) agree to participate in all reasonable publicity associated with THE KOBZAR™ Book Award, including interviews, readings and appearances.
- Publishers agree to include the THE KOBZAR™ Book Award decal on all copies of the shortlisted and/or winning book(s) on all subsequent reprints. These decals or their template will be provided by the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko (Shevchenko Foundation).
All inquires should be directed to:
THE KOBZAR™ Book Award
202 – 952 Main Street
Winnipeg, MB R2W 3P4
Phone: (204) 944-9128
Toll Free: (866) 524-5314