Shevchenko Foundation Emerging Writers Short Prose Competition
Short Prose Competition
The Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko is committed to encouraging and promoting new authors who write about a topic that involves a tangible connection to the Ukrainian Canadian experience.
The Shevchenko Foundation’s Emerging Writers Short Prose Competition sets the groundwork for new writers to explore the short prose form and to one day aspire to submit an entry to the KOBZAR™ Book Award.
A $1,500 prize is awarded annually to a Canadian writer for the best piece of unpublished prose of up to 1,500 words in the English language about a topic that involves a tangible connection to the Ukrainian Canadian experience. The Shevchenko Foundation will also provide $1,000 toward publication of the winning entry in a Canadian newspaper, magazine, or recognized digital distributor.
Two writing industry professionals and one member of the Shevchenko Foundation Board of Directors will serve as the jury.
- This competition is open to all Canadian citizens and permanent residents who are not published in magazine or book format.
- Only original and unpublished fiction or nonfiction in the English language is eligible.
- A completed and signed entry form. Download entry form here.
- Entries should be typed, double-spaced, in a clear twelve-point font, and the pages numbered on 8.5” x 11” pages, saved as a PDF.
- Please type the name of entrant and the title of entry on each numbered page. This is not a blind competition.
- Multiple entries are accepted.
- Submit entries and entry form to [email protected]
- Entries must be received electronically by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on October 1st, 2019 to be eligible.
The Shevchenko Foundation thanks the Writers Union of Canada for inspiring our Competition.